bN6HvpcowZbCzfm-1qhqQMHRR1o Welcome to Toscantainment: ALBUM REVIEW: Chapter One (The Album) By MayD: TheMobsTake

Monday, June 17, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Chapter One (The Album) By MayD: TheMobsTake


“20 songs!” This was my initial reaction when I fliped over May D’s album jacket. Yeah you can call me lazy and I won’t begrudge you; but my rather crude instincts plus little experience tell me this is a sure sign of trouble. Well, I hope my trepidation is unfounded this time.   Lets run through the most striking songs (good or bad) on this album. Here we go:

Story of my life (Mekka E)
This is in my opinion, the best song on this album. The beat is cool and laid back, just the perfect background for May D to bare it all. But here’s the catch, “No story.” May D blatantly refused to tell us the ‘koko.’

Fumigate (Pappy Jay)
LMFAO!!! This song is a joke. A bad joke! Please! fumigate what or who? This is a senseless song through and through. This joint had no business being on this album or any album for that matter (photo albums too).

Gat Me High (Shizzi)
You just have to be a sadistic, Nazi apologist not to move to this song mehn. The production is bright and bubbly. May D’s delivery is point perfect. I love this one right here. MayD sabi sing and the boy got that tight melody game no doubt.

Get down (Oskido)
MayD didn’t do justice to this beat in my candid opinion. MayD had the good fortune of an original house beat cooked up by one of SA’s finest, Oskido, and what did he do? He WASTED it! This joint could have been better planned, and definitely better executed.

Show me your style (Shizzi)
Shizzi is special. I love this one too. MayD did just enough to make it a good jam. You might also notice that our very good friend “the way you whine” featured on this joint *deep sigh of anguish*.

Your eyes ft Davido
Regular joint but I must give it up to Davido on this one. He delivered a champagne performance on this song. May D however, wasn’t dressed for the party.

Soundtrack
This was when May D had something to prove. The “hungry to get it” May D. I miss this May D. Beautiful piece, very well put together. On a lighter note, the “square records baby” on the initial one is missing. LOL

Kigbe ft Olamide & Kswitch (UC draw)
Special Shoutout to UC draw mehn!! This beat is banging and I loved it instantly. I’ve always thought highly of Kswitch and he didn’t ‘fall my hand’ on this one. Olamide can’t be muted.

Cool temper (Peter Okoye)
Peter and May D take us back on this one. Nice and easy retro sound. I’m so loving May D on this one. I hear some nice harmonies in there. Like a lot of naija acts, May D is a born Singer no doubt. Still plenty room for improvement though; and that’s a good thing.

Suffering and smiling (Fliptyce)
This is obviously MayD’s ill-fated shot at  doing conscious music and boy did he suck at it. The beat also does very little in helping to create that feel. This one right here is a minus.

Jekajo (Fliptyce)
Typical naija song title. I believe you all know what to expect here. This is one of those songs off this album I never want to hear anymore. Forever. I hate it.

Nobody ft Tuface (Spells)
You see, tuface doesn’t have to be on every album. If you don’t have something sensible that will make both of you look good on the track, just allow the guy be. Tuface doesn’t sound hyped about this song. Tu should have said NO, but I doubt that is one of his virtues (Tu good for his own good sometimes). This is a poor one and more sadly, it’s an awful way to end the album.

TheMobs’ Summary:

I think your album should be like your own 60mins special. It’s like your 1hour slot on premium radio to introduce yourself and music without adverts to interrupt you. It’s your show; and we will wait patiently for you to wow us. You can cry, tease, laugh, give a speech, act a skit, tell a joke, anything you want, but just give us a great time and enjoy yourself. Remember its a “show” so planning is key. Perhaps my initial fears about this 20-song album weren’t entirely exaggerated. MayD’s album comprises a not-out-of-this-world 20 tracks; with 19 tracks about ‘ijo’ and ‘baby(double check). Nothing more. No new guy “put on”, nothing about the man, half-baked lyrics, the beats are in a hurry and obviously randomly selected (no custom made music); come on!
The album art and photography is an apology. Especially when you consider that its really may D’s album youre staring at. The album title doesn’t stir enough anticipation to make it memorable. The title screams clueless!!! I can sense the lack of a proper team or team-work all over this project. Maybe MayD needs to get signed again. He needs people.
Really, this doesn’t feel like an album to me; but hey, this right here is the “ideal” Nigerian album so what the heck am I talking about? I’m so pissed at this spineless effort because this is the type of “Chapter one” that makes you want to drop the book. I truly believe that May D has got the talent to do way better than this dismal album he served us. i do hope he stops looking at the competition and let us have some Original May D in “Chapter two.”

Once more, don’t take my word for it. Cop the album
The Angry Mob is a 100% Risk taker, Dream weaver, Human capital investor, Principal consultant with PUSH, an A &R in the Nigerian Music biz and he’s stuck in the business of MAKING stars…


Culled from citrusmusiclive.com

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...